-
March 23rd, 2000, 08:19 AM
#1
Inactive Member
I live in Chicago. And the laws are getting stricter every year. Will the 8psi setup pass smog?? I would really like to put the 8 psi setup I on my car but if its not smog legal then what else could I do with a 6 psi kit to make more power?? Im also concered about what happened to Silvino's car? I feel for him, I dont know what I would do if my car did that, He's taking it very well. I hope things work out for him. I hope some of you guys can help he with this. I'm looking for boost in the next few months and will buy soon, I just need to know the right info.
Thanks for any info you can provide!
nick
------------------
95 GSR 4-DR w/minor bolt-on looking for boost!
-
March 23rd, 2000, 01:36 PM
#2
Inactive Member
I love 8psi, but it comes at a price.
You've already mentioned smog, and where I think you CAN pass, it may take a couple of tries, and you'll have to do stuff to the car to get it to pass, I'm sure.
As for reliability, you should invest some money into the car to make sure it will work. J&S Safeguard, fuel delivery upgrades etc. It's not for the novice, but a lot of guy's are doing it.
-
March 23rd, 2000, 01:46 PM
#3
Inactive Member
I don't see how the amount of available boost has anything to do with passing drive cycle smog tests.
If car's never in boost during the test, why wouldn't it pass?
Is it just because the additional drag from turning the impellers takes more power or what? I didn't think they take that much work to turn when the blower is in the pressure balance mode.
It seems to me that you'd have to be under enough throttle to make boost to fail the test. The richer mixture should be the part that makes them fail under boost, but the air fuel ratio should be pretty normal at idle and regular throttle openings.
Please inform me on what the trouble is.
-
March 23rd, 2000, 08:04 PM
#4
Inactive Member
Here in chicago, we have the dyno tests. They take the car up to 60 mph and back down to 0. When I had my car tested it passed without even going to 50. Im just worried that if I go with the 8 psi kit that the fuel to air ratio will be off and mess up the test. How hard do you have to get on the gas for it to produce boost. As long as its not a steady increase like in the test it should be fine. I just don't want ot go through all the trouble that SSBP had to go through. I just don't have the finances or the right shop to take it to.
------------------
95 GSR 4-DR w/minor bolt-on looking for boost!
-
March 23rd, 2000, 08:13 PM
#5
Inactive Member
You have to "punch" the throttle pretty good to go into boost or hold it WOT, which shouldn't apply to your test.
I would think unless you put a diferent resistor in the JR relay from the 6psi kit you would actually run a little leaner with 8psi, correct?
One easy way to overcome this would be to use the CRV crank pulley as mentioned here previously to go 8psi and switch it back to stock if it wont pass. Seems easier then pulling the blower unless there is some unforseen disadvantage to the CRV pulley (besided slight overdrive of components).
------------------
'96 JRSC GSR Sedan (Black Currant Pearl)
AEM CAI / PMS
J&S Safeguard / Walbro HO Pump
DC Strut Braces Skunkworks Rear Swaybar
H&R OE Sports Billstein HD's
(8psi pulley on deck)
-
March 23rd, 2000, 09:06 PM
#6
Inactive Member
If the bypass stayed open, the boost would be near zero and the fuel pressure regulator wouldn't hike the pressure up. How about trying that.
-
March 23rd, 2000, 10:33 PM
#7
Inactive Member
I tried every combination and my car would not pass smog. It was not even close. Maybe the cat got overworked or something else. If there is any advise I would give, it would be DO A PRE-TEST FIRST. If you test it, and failed, you are fu!ked. You will be labeled as a gross-polluter.
------------------
00 Naples Gold 3.2TL
N/A with 225 H.P. and 216 Torque at the flywheel
All stock and staying that way
-
March 23rd, 2000, 11:05 PM
#8
Inactive Member
Turismo, Basicly the CRV crany pulley make the 8psi, right? What were the disadvantages of that pulley again? Doesn't Jr say that the 6psi kit is smog legal?? So as long as I change Back from the CRV Crank pulley it should pass.!
SSBP you said that you tryed this, what do you think the problem was?? I really want boost but don't want to sell my car.
------------------
95 GSR 4-DR w/minor bolt-on looking for boost!
-
March 24th, 2000, 04:06 AM
#9
Inactive Member
Well as of a few days ago we all thought it would be fine but we have a first hand account of it NOT passing. I http://www.hostboard.com/ubb/Forum40/HTML/001997.html as for the fuel pressures and acompaning emmisions I don't know. I do know that the idle pressures even in the stock car are no were near stock but the 6psi kits pass. I think if I had to pass I would just find someone to pay ion the begining and not waste any money trying 
------------------
98 GS-scR w/ 8psi JRSC, Walbro HO fuel pump, AEM cai, Airmass header, Thermal Exhaust, Skunk Works cam gears, J&S safeguard, Ground Controls and KYB AGX's, and of course to slow down, KVR X-drill F&R rotors and Carbon Kevlar pads and V1 to signal the slowing down and soon to go on a Carbon Fiber diet and RC 310 steriods
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks